he hotel was originally built in 1800 as a private home for William Farquharson, Esquire of Monaltrie, one of the founders of Ballater, predating the Royal Family’s interest in the area by several decades.
Originally called Cornellan House it became a hotel and was named the Alexandra in 1915. Over the years this fine Victorian building has survived fire and floods to become a key landmark in the town.
After many years of running high quality hotels across Scotland for others, Alan and Fiona McCorquodale became owners of the Alexandra Hotel in May 2008.
Since taking over they have concentrated on upgrading the facilities including redecorating rooms, renovating the bar and restaurant, improving the menu and making sure all the guests have a pleasant and enjoyable stay.